Thursday, May 16, 2013

Slippery Slope

Definition of SLIPPERY SLOPE

As defined by Merriam -Webster : a course of action that seems to lead inevitably from one action or result to another with unintended consequences

It often seems as if my life is one.  Truly.  I remember in high school learning this definition and my girlfriend, Diana, and I making up stories that just kept going and going.  We would get laughing so hard making up stories about some unsuspecting soul.  I didn't know that would come back to haunt me. 
3 weeks ago our basement flooded.  Not furniture floating flooded but standing water from wall to wall.  (Enter initial 'course of action.')  Mind you, there is someone living in our basement right now.  I discovered this at 6am.  I woke up our friend and we started immediately getting all of her stuff out and I called Trevor with a slightly panicked tone in my voice and told him he had to come home right away.  My husband is Jamaican.  While this might seem to be a crisis to many of us, my husband never operates in crisis mode.  He doesn't have a crisis mode.  No problem, Mon.  He was home by lunch. 



We spend the day cleaning out every single item in the basement and dragging soaking wet area rugs through my house and into the garage where a pile the size of Everest seemed to appear.  The restoration company was able to come the next day and set up dryers and disinfected and all that good stuff.  Pretty minor flooding.  We were blessed really.  I know families that lost so much in area flooding that it was just a huge inconvenience to us. 

The insurance adjuster came and surveyed the damage.  They would have covered carpet but do not cover area rugs so that was the first big hit.  Area rugs are not cheap.  (Enter 'unintended consequences') Then a few days later the washer and dryer just stopped working.  Both of them.  Granted those suckers were old but the insurance guy told me to call if there were any problem with them so I did.   He was estimating the loss to be about $2500.  I started clean up and repainting the floors and the walls right away.  I took laundry to my mom's and spent the entire day there running between her house and my sisters two doors down to get a weeks worth of laundry for 7 done. 
I called the insurance adjuster to see when we would be getting our check so we could replace the washer and dryer and he told me it would be a few weeks.  Ugh.  So I'm thinking I can make the laundry situation work until we get a new set, right?  Wrong.  After depreciation of our washer and dryer and our deductible, we'll be getting a check for like $300.   Well, woohooo!   What the what?   I do not understand insurance.  I get they were old but I can't exactly replace them for that.   So in a desperate facebook plea to buy some old ones from people we know, some wonderful friends had just moved and gave us their extra set!  So gracious and generous.  So thrilled and happy.

We have to borrow a truck and go pick them up.  A friend comes over to help move the old ones out and the new ones in.  I go off to a friends with another week's worth of laundry piled up in the van.  The paint is now dry enough to move everything out of our family room and back into the basement and our friend doesn't have to sleep on the couch anymore.  Trevor through all of this is having to work every weekend so the pile in the garage remains and the trips here and there to pick up a part and borrow a truck and all of that eat away the little time we have in the evenings. I am supposed to keep parenting as normal and work around all of the basement's contents scattered throughout our family room and maintain my patience amongst the chaos.

He goes to hook up the dryer one evening and discovers the vent is filled with lint.  We don't want to shell out anymore money so on FB many friends weigh in on how to do it ourselves.  So we borrow a dry vac for the next day from friends and he works on sucking it all out another evening.  He can't get it all.  So we borrow another tool from another friend and he will get to that tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I am off to another friends to do a week's worth of laundry for 7 again.  Which takes an entire day.  I mean 8 am to 5 pm back to back as fast as you can fold it.  

I decide that Trevor has been working so much and so hard and I will just help out while he's at work so he will only have to hook up the washer and dryer when he returns that evening.  It's just sticking a little brush on the end of a plastic tube in the PVC pipe to clear it out.  How hard can it be?  In the words of my 4 year old nephew helping me fold laundry one day, "I'm a super good big help."  So I stick the sucker in there and wiggle it around and start to pull it out and it breaks off in my hand.  Breaks off so far in there that I can't reach.  Of course, it does.   At this time, I feel like falling to the ground and pounding my fist on the floor in the best 2 year old style fit you've ever seen. 

I text Trevor.  So I don't have to say it outloud.  That No problem, Mon vibe he's got going comes in SO handy on occassions such as these.
The laundry has taken over our bedroom and with the next toss of dirty drawers onto the top of the heap will require it's on zip code. Deep breaths.  I call the professionals.  The professionals can come the next day. Thank you, Jesus.  


They came today.  They can only get to one end of the vent because the other end they built our deck over.  Not kidding.  So they cleaned it out and my awesome husband hooked up our washer and dryer and I started laundry while whistling and skipping.  The sun shines brighter.  The birds sing clearer.  You get the picture.  


We are supposed to cut a trap door in the deck to have access to the dryer vent.  Don't worry. We won't be doing that on our own.


Oh and the PVC pipe I stuck that dryer vent cleaner in and broke off.....uh yeh, that was the vent for our high efficiency heating and air unit.  So I guess I'll call them too.   


And that, my friends, is a slippery slope.  

No comments: