Sunday, July 15, 2012

From 5 to 6.

I'm plumb tuckered out.  In a good way.  On Wednesday of this week we got a new placement from Safe Families that will be staying with us for a few weeks.  He is the sweetest most polite 5 year old.  You can tell his momma's done a great job. So we went from 5 to 6 and all is well.   I am again reminded of how easy it is....to open your home to a child.  I've been posting about it on Facebook and some have commented such kind words about how great we are to do this.  It makes me a bit uncomfortable, honestly.  We don't do this because we are so great or special in anyway.  We do it because God calls us all to care for the least of these and we just try to obey.  I often hear people say they don't know how I do it...The truth is, God does it.  I simply open myself up to His love for us and it comes oozing out to others.  I believe firmly that if God calls us to something, He equips us to handle it.  He gives us the energy, the funds, the love, the patience, the willingness, the courage.....that's what His holy spirit is all about it.  Thank goodness we don't have to depend on ourselves!! 

I share about our stories not to hear praise or get a pat on the back but to show how easy it really is.  To show that if we can do it.....a crazy, unorganized, totally run of the mill family....that anyone can do it.   And I wish we all would.  We don't have an extra room for these children.  One of ours simply sleeps on a mattress on the floor while they're here.  I'd rather that than this child be on a park bench with his momma.  We don't have extra money, God provides it.  Sometimes they don't have clothes.  My friend unknowingly dropped off his perfect size seconds before he arrived.  She was pulling out of the driveway while he was pulling in.  God, y'all.  All God.  Maybe it isn't Safe Families....maybe it's another step God is asking you to take.  My point is, that when we step out in Jesus' name, in faith, and DO what He is calling us to do, we have His power to call on.  He is our strength.

We are still human, sure.  Tonight I am so tired I fed my children fruity pebbles for dinner but the blessings we have gotten in just the few short days our friend has been with us are many.   I have been able to see my children welcome another child into our home and comfort and encourage and engage him.  I've seen this beautiful little guy go from screaming on the top stair of the pool to running around in it up to his neck and practice blowing bubbles all in one day.  I got to experience his first movie theater experience with him.  I have been able to comfort him when he cries for his momma and hear him tell me he loves me.  I have been blessed to watch my husband love on this little boy and show him an example I'm sure he has never seen before and it makes me fall in love with him even more.  I love to watch my sisters and parents and nieces and nephews welcome him in to the family as if he hasn't missed a day and pour out love on him.  It has given me a wonderful view of Jesus in action....through all those around me.  I promise you, when you step out of your comfort zone, God will knock your socks off.  Yes, having a safe family for her child to be with is blessing this mother, I'm sure.  And yes, this little guy feels loved to the tips of his toes and that is a very good thing.  But our family is blessed abundantly through this.  In amazing ways.  The most beautiful place in the world to be is used by our Heavenly Father.  It's addictive....smack dab in the center of His will for your life and being His hands and feet.  There is simply nothing greater. 

To whom much is given, much is expected.
God tells us when we give our lives away for Him, we find life.
In Matthew He tells us that when we welcome the stranger, feed the hungry, clothe the naked and offer drink to the thirsty, we do it for Him.
God calls us to defend the widow and care for the fatherless.  He commands us to love our neighbor.

I am currently reading a book called Surrender: The Life-Changing Power of Doing God's Will by Fr. Larry Richards.  I read this last night and sat straight up in bed and woke Trevor up and read it to him.  Exactly!!  Exactly this!!

On average 24,000 children die everyday in this world because of poverty realted illnesses.  What are you going to do when you stand before God and He asks, 'How come in your lifetime 24,000 children died of starvation?  I gave you abundantly so that you can take care of them.  But you went and took care of yourself first.'  What are you going to do?  Look at Him and say, "Well, they weren't my kids."?  He'll say, "No!  They were mine."  

No comments: