Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Safe Families at its finest

A sweet bloggy-adoptive-mommy-grew up in the same town as me- and with a heart for orphans-friend of mine allowed her children to have a lemonade stand to help raise funds for a fellow adoptive family. At the end of her beautiful blog, that you can catch here http://momentswithlove.blogspot.com, she thanks her contributors for allowing her girls to see "how He can use us even though He doesn't have to." Love it. That little phrase jumped off the screen at me. That is what life is all about. Today I got the perfect opportunity to show my children the same thing. It was Safe Families at its finest.

JoJo was our last placement and stayed with us for just a few weeks this summer. I have kept in touch with his mom mainly via text messaging. Today we took over some clothes and a meal and got to visit with them and see their new home. JoJo screamed my name and ran and jumped in my arms hugging and kissing me. It might have been the single greatest greeting I've ever gotten. His big brother wasn't too far behind wrapping his arms around my waist with a big hug. Their mom just giggled. The kids were all hugging and laughing and ran off to see the boys' new room. I sat and talked with his mom for an hour and she excitedly showed me around the new house. It was great to see them. I got to see the new baby and check on how he's is doing. Their sister is visiting family so we missed her. As I sat their with their mom watching the kids eat popsicles, it struck me that she is becoming my friend, that she trusts me and even likes me. This is how Safe Families is supposed to work. This family will always be a part of ours and it felt so good to know that when they needed someone we were there. We have plans to meet up at church this week.

Everyone is quick to point out how great we are to do this kind of thing but it's selfish in a way....the feeling I got sitting there with mom is a feeling that people would pay millions for if I could bottle it. It feels good to reach out. It feels good to help. It feels amazing to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I felt so incredibly greatful for the opportunity God gives us to "use us even though He doesn't need us." How cool is our God that He has the power to do it all on His own but that we are His plan. And not only does He use us but that He lets us feel that gratitude, that love, that unbelievable feeling you feel when you are doing His work in His name. He is the coolest.

On the way home, I thought about our P & L and wondered why this wasn't their journey, their story....although I really can't imagine it any other way. So thankful they get to be seeing this situation from the other side and are experiencing the joy of sharing your life with others and opening our home to those in need. That moment today, that one hour with JoJo and his family make all of this so worth it. To God be the glory.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

That's awesome, Jen!!! What a story! I miss you! We need to get together again! Maybe we can meet at the pool soon :)