Friday, July 23, 2010

I could never do it.

I hear often from people that they couldn't do what I do. I get asked from my friends and strangers alike, how can you give them back? How can you love and care for a child and then give them back? How can you get bonded, attached and then return them? I've asked myself that same question. I've asked my friends that foster how they can do it? It's always been something I never thought I could do. It has been something in the past year and some months that I've realized I can do and this is why.

Because there is a need. Because whether or not it is hard for me or makes me sad or I miss these children and their smiles...whether or not I feel it is the best situation for them or fear for their futures......there is a need. God instructed all of us to care for the 'least of these.' He told us all that we are HIS plan. So there is a need that I can meet and I do it. Not because I am made of something special or different than you. Not because I heard a voice in the night tell me this is my calling. Not because it is easy or normal or painless. But because I can and I should and I will. I do not have or need the answers to what is best for their life. I do not have or need the answers to what their journey will look like or why one child has this life and the other that life. All I know is I am called to serve. I am called to love, to love the unlovable, the ones that won't love me back, the ones that will love you back so much and when you say goodbye it will hurt with every fiber of your being. I am called to trust God.

There are children tonight that need us. Children that will go hungry or homeless if we don't open up our home. There will be chidren tonight that are hurt at the hands of a loved one or a stranger and tomorrow or the next day, they will need us. There are children without parents. There are children that only need us for a week. There are children that will need our love for months on end and then happyily return to their momma. There are children that will need us for a lifetime. There are parents that need our encouragement and support and guidance. There are parents that need us to believe in them. There are children that need us to believe in them with our whole hearts. There are people that need to be shown the love of Jesus and who am I to miss an opportunity to do just that. Am I supposed to say no to these children because it is too hard for me? because it makes me sad? because I love them and will miss them?

I have a warm, loving, secure home. We open our home because we are blessed to have one. I could accumulate wealth. I could accumulate things. I could redecorate or drive fancy cars or take exotic trips. I could lift this here or nip and tuck that there but none of that is going with me. It reminds me of one of my favorite poems....

Some would gather money along the path of life. Some would gather roses, and rest from worldly strife; But, I would gather children from among the thorns of sin, I would seek a golden curl, and a freckled, toothless grin. For money cannot enter in that land of endless day, and roses that are gathered soon will wilt along the way. But, oh, the laughing children, as I cross the sunset sea, and the gates swing wide to heaven I can take them in with me. Unknown

Why wouldn't I do this? How could I not do this?

No comments: