Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend away...

The only thing better than my road trip alone with the kids is to follow it up with some alone time with my husband.

This weekend the hubs and I had some much needed time together. The budget was challenged so my gracious parents offered their home to us and took all five of our children and our cute but smelly dog to my sister's house to help her corral our crew for the weekend. My children like nothing more than to hang with their cousins, fun aunties and uncles and Mamaw and Papaw are like the cherry on top! They were thrilled. As was I. It is no little favor to take on my life for a weekend so when my sister offered, I moved fast!

My wise mother encouraged me to get away from our house even though the children wouldn't be there. She was afraid we would get wrapped up in projects or household duties instead of focusing on each other and she was right. I totally recommend doing this if the budget doesn't allow for a swank hotel...or any. My parents, who raised six kids themselves, had a bottle of wine waiting, chocolates, strawberries, cheese and crackers and a nice little blanket for a picnic on the floor of the living room. Nice touch! If your parents don't live close by or family, swap with a trusted friend and then you can do the same for them. We have to encourage and support one another's marriages.

Trevor and I slept in a bit, ate breakfast at my favorite way too expensive to take kids too breakfast place and then went for a hike in a park we used to hang out in back in the day. We hit our old favorite dinner spot, did a little shopping and rented a movie. It was wonderful. The best part was just doing what we wanted when we wanted too. The past year of our lives has been a bit crazy to say the least and with a big busy family it is so easy to just lose touch and it was so nice to just be with this wonderful man and talk uninterrupted and laugh and dream and just appreciate and focus solely on each other. I am beyond blessed by this husband God chose for me. I know that the best gift, other than Jesus, that I can give my children is the security that comes from them knowing how much their dad and I love each other and we will forever be a family.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

WONDERFUL, Jen! Sounds like you had an amazing, relaxing time! So happy for you two! You certainly deserve it!

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

What a great idea! Having 4 kids myself I get so focused on being a parent that I forget that I'm also a partner. Thanks for the reminder. You words are definitely an encouragement!