Thursday, April 1, 2010

Feet

Tonight at our church's Maundy Thursday Service our Pastor selected six people to come on stage and he and the lead pastor washed their feet. I was one of those people. I am not a feet person. I had two initial thoughts. One, thank God I shaved my legs and two, thank God I used the pedegg this week. Shallow, I know but honest. Something happened though as it began. I was incredibly humbled. I thought about what it would have been like to have the King of kings clean your feet. At the time, it was customary for the owner of the home to bring his visitor water so they could cleanse their own feet from their travels or sometimes a servant might do it but never would a free and ordinary citizen. But then Jesus wasn't ordinary was he? Pastor Keith pointed out that this act of service was about service, humility and love. Jesus put himself in a position to serve. He humbled himself before others. And He loved like no one else. That was His example for us. God could have sent His Son to us for a week or a month or a year. He could have sent him here briefly to die on the cross for our sins but what is truly amazing to me, and something I've never thought of before (again, thanks to Keith) is that God sent His Son to earth to live for 33 years. He sent him here for 33 years so that we would know how to live. He gave us the example and on the night before He knew He was to die, He washed the feet of His disciples. He gave us the example to humble ourselves before others, to serve others and to love others. It leaves me breathless. It made me cry up there on that stage tonight.

The entire week this song by Mercy Me has been in my head and I've been raising my hands in the kitchen and in the shower and in the car, singing.....



I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say

[CHORUS]
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice

[REPEAT CHORUS 2x]

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay


As I've prepared my heart for Christ's dying on the cross and the victory Easter morning brings, it has been such a comforting image to stay and rest in His holiness. It has been comforting to not need the words or to be heard but to wait on His message for me and tonight as my feet were being washed, I heard Him loud and clear. I am amazed by you, God. I am humbled by you and so very thankful for your life and it's example, for your death and your suffering and for your heavenly victory!

1 comment:

Beautiful Mess said...

Wow! I haven't thought about how humbling that would feel in a long time. Thanks for the reminder of teh beauty of Our Lords example!

Bless you and your family this Holy holiday!

Jen