Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Alzheimers stinks.

I'm not sure if I've written about this before. That is part of the reason I blog, to serve as a history of events for my family since my brain seems to function at about 50% most the time.

My husband is in Jamaica right now visiting his father. He got there today. His dad didn't know who he was. No recollection. None. Alzheimer's. It's kind of a long story but when Noah was about six months old, my father-in-law came to visit for three weeks and ended up staying for three years. He was diagnosed almost seven years ago. He has been back in Jamaica now almost four years I think. It became too much with a young family and he never quite adjusted and it seemed to make his disease worse to be in a foreign land. His caregivers are amazing and love him and look at him as their ministry. Trevor's father was a missionary in Haiti for several years and a minister in Jamaica for over 40 until he retired because of this life stealing disease.

It began with him getting lost on his way home from church or forgetting to eat or someone's name...it's progressed to this. The one thing that continues to amaze me is that he can still quote scripture. It is in him that deep. He read his Bible every single day. Sometimes all day. He doesn't know his sons name, he doesn't know he is his son, he can't remember that he was married or that he has grandkids or his address or how to even brush his own teeth but he knows to the core of his soul our Heavenly Father and I believe wholeheartedly doesn't feel alone because of it. He is still the most peaceful man I know.

Alzheimer's. So many little griefs along the way. Much harder for those on the outside to see at this point. It hurts my heart for my husband and I wish I could be there with him....just to buffer the pain of it all. Praying for a good visit for them and that maybe, just maybe, this week he will call Trevor by name just once. I pray Trevor gets that.

1 comment:

amycornwell said...

Tears are streaming down my face...praying for Trevor and his dad to have just one moment together (of recollection) while he's down there. But what a testimony that he can't remember anything except Scripture. Wow!