Wednesday, February 24, 2010

You are invited to....


I got home from pre-school drop off today and found a note addressed to L taped on our door. I told L it was for him. "For me?" Yes. "Only for me?" Yes. Let the dance of joy begin. I helped him open it and told him his little friend wants him to come to his Star Wars birthday party. Just him. "Can I hold it?"

It was so cute. I wrote down all the info quickly and the boy hasn't sat it down all day. I know this takes place a dozen times a year to children everywhere, but not this child. This is the first time he's been in a place long enough to have his own little friend. And I think children that are fostered or adopted for a long time feel like they are surrounded by toys and a house and friends and family that they are borrowing, not their own thing. No matter how many times you tell them it is all yours. Everything we have is yours. I think it still, in the back of their mind, doesn't feel like theirs. It's the reason he holds on to anything from his old life with such gusto. So this is the reason that I choked back tears and felt so thankful that my sweet boy not only has his own friend, but his very own, very cool, Star Wars invitation to what I'm sure will be a very fun party.

5 comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Aww! That rocks! I am so thankful for friends and birthday parties! but mostly for forever families!

Anonymous said...

aww. how sweet! made me teary-eyed. I love Logan! xo - Kara

steffany said...

aw....what a beautiful perspective.

David and Sarah said...

Your family is beautiful...and this story makes me teary-eyed. Absolutely precious.

Blessings,
Sarah

Beautiful Mess said...

You have an AWARD on my site! Feel free to grab and repost if you like!

God bless you friend!

Jen