Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK day

It was only 43 years ago that I wouldn't have been able to marry my husband. It would have been illegal. It seems insane to me but it's how it was. 46 years ago my children would have had to drink out of a different water fountain then I do. They would have had to sit on the back of the bus and I could have eaten at the counter in the restaurant but they would have been served at the back door, if served at all. Trevor really could have been lynched for dating me and our children would have never had the same opportunities of their little white cousins and friends all because of the color. of. their. skin. Ridiculous. Sad. Ignorant. and thankfully now against the law. Thanks to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Thanks to Rosa Parks. Thanks to Oliver Brown. Thanks to James Peck. Thanks to the many white and black activist that put their lives on the line so that one day my family could BE. I could write pages upon pages of people that picketed, sat in, marched and preached and fought for the rights of all. On this, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I always think of it. I wonder if anyone else does. I wonder if people without as diverse an environment think of how much better our world is because of the lives of people like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I hope they do. I hope they too are glad that my little family can look like we do and have the freedoms we have. I hope they see how much more beautiful it has made our country.....our world.

Do your kids know why they got to stay home today? Do your kids know what today was all about? Do you?

I could write forever about this subject but I'll leave you with some of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s words instead. He is way better than me.



"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

''Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it. ''

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important. "

"Ten thousand fools proclaim themselves into obscurity, while one wise man forgets himself into immortality. "

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. "

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today!"

And we are so glad you did, Mr. King!!!!


3 comments:

~love said...

so, so glad you did Mr. King!

i remember wondering, as a young girl, if people really thought about this day or if they were just glad to be off of work or school. and now thinking about this day? it is almost too much. i'm so thankful. so humbled. so proud of him and the others that paved the way for our families....our children.

love ya and that gorgeous family of yours, jen!

Holly said...

SO thankful that your family even exists today, Jen. So thankful for the events of history and the bravery, courage, and convictions of those before us who made it possible.

We love you so much!

Beautiful Mess said...

LOVED this! So true! Truly thankful for your family and your inspiration to me! Thankful YOU had a dream too:)